We all miss festivals, but have you ever thought about how we experience them as women? Should all festivals have women-only camping areas? And are there even enough female musicians good enough to be on festival billings?
In this episode, Kiki, Pia, and Steffi discuss their experiences at festivals, how important it is to have more and more women on festival stages, and how we can make female musicians more visible.
Metal & High Heels Podcast – Episode 91:
Recorded on May 25th, 2021.
This is our last episode before our first-ever summer break. We will be back in September but, until then, you can give our other episodes a listen.
M&H Podcast 91 – Show Notes:
- Our episode about Women in Metal record labels with of Nuclear Blast’s Leo and Tiff
- Nova Rock‘s info on camping, including GRRRLS CAMPING
- SPIRITBOX-singer Courtney Laplante’s podcast Good For A Girl
- The Keychange Pledge
- The global community of women and gender minorities in the music industry shesaid.so
- Our interview with Marcela Bovio at Female Metal Event in 2016 about STREAM OF PASSION being rejected from a festival because a woman was already in the billing
- She Shreds magazine dedicated to women guitarists and bassists
- ** musictheorygirls** on Instagram for posts from female musicians and music theory memes
- Laura from THE TEX AVERY SYNDROME on Instagram
- Caroline Criado Perez on her book Invisible Women with the example of toilet spaces and cars
- Our podcast episode with Charlie Rolfe from AS EVERYTHING UNFOLDS
- Help us shape the future of this podcast by filling out our Metal & High Heels Survey 2021
What are your experiences at Metal festivals? Have you seen many women*? Tell us your favorite AEU-song in the comments – and share this article! You can also send a short voice message to our Facebook page to have your voice played on the show! Or tweet at us: @metalhighheels!
Our jingle is voiced by Kassandra Novell based on the song ‘Storm’ by her band MERCY ISLE.