On this episode of the Metal & High Heels Podcast, Pia, Steffi, and Kiki talk about different vocal styles in Metal and why operatic singing in Symphonic Metal is getting boring. Each of us listens to different music, but we all agree that the genre needs to change things up. Or are we just overexposed to it?
When listening to the latest LEAVES’ EYES-release I (Kiki) realized that I was in denial about something that Pia and Steffi had mentioned a couple of times: that the operatic vocal style in Symphonic Metal is getting boring. And in this case, it is true. Not that Elina Siirala is a bad singer, it’s just her vocals on that album are boring. That sparked another conversation, though. At the end of the day, we all have different tastes in music and voices – so let’s discuss.
Metal & High Heels Podcast – Episode 20: Vocal Styles in Metal.
Recorded on March 5th, 2018.
M&H Podcast 20 – Show Notes from our chat about (mostly female) Vocals in Metal:
- We didn’t review “Sign Of The Dragonhead”, sorry
- Check out Kiki’s story about Marcela Bovio’s Universal Voice Introduction Workshop
- Kiki’s live report of SIRENIA, THE BIRTHDAY MASSACRE and XEROSUN
- Our interview with SIRENIA at Female Metal Event 2016
- Our Review of “Endless Forms Most Beautiful”
- The topic of our next episode will be Death Metal with Pia and Steffi only.
Are you getting bored of operatic vocals as well? Do you agree with some of our observations? Tell us in the comments! You can also send a short voice message to our Facebook page to have your voice played on the show! Or tweet at us @metalhighheels – and share this episode!
Our awesome jingle is voiced by Kassandra Novell based on the song ‘Storm’ by her band MERCY ISLE.
During the episode, we mentioned several bands and songs – in this playlist, we collected everything you need to be up to date on the episode!