In the world of video games I am the textbook “noob”.
When starting to game, sometimes one encounters salty players.
Then back to trying out new stuff I was, trying to learn all those gaming skills fast by practicing different game mechanics. I found a challenge to my creative thinking in “Contrast” a puzzle platformer in a beautifully dark 1920’s landscape and accompanied by a wonderful jazz soundtrack. A little bit easier is the more recent, story-driven “Life Is Strange” (picture on the right), in which the player’s decision-making and its consequences change the course of protagonist Max Caulfield’s story. Apart from Max’s supernatural power to rewind and sometimes freeze time, the game’s world is pretty realistic and also equipped with some poppy and relaxing tunes.
Story-driven games end up on the shelf after play-through.
Just like the two abovementioned story-driven games, “F.E.A.R 3” went back onto an imaginary shelf after I finished it. They were all lots of fun, and sure, I will want to go over those games again in the future, but once the story is over, they lose the mystery and the appeal of the moment.
Which brings us to the three latest additions to my list. On the one hand there is “Heroes Of The Storm” a multiplayer online battle arena with characters from across the Blizzard universes (Warcraft, Diablo, StarCraft) and the ambition to become the competition to the famous MOBAs League of Legends and Defense of the Ancients. For a noob like me, the game turned out to be more complicated than it looked, but also a lot of fun learning not only the basics but also the specific abilities of each character.
Trying out new releases and recommendations from friends.
The other new game I tried out lately is “PlanetSide 2”, a massively multiplayer online first-person-shooter. And as complicated as the name is also the gameplay. With a post-apocalyptic, futuristic, sci-fi storyline, the actual playing takes place in battlefields on far away planets, where huge teams shoot at each other. This fact alone makes it more difficult for newbies to survive in the game, since the teams aren’t really balanced and it’s not easy to keep track of who is who and who is shooting at you. All very confusing and I do recommend finding yourself a good team, before you deploy into the crossfire.
Last but not least, I just started playing the very famous “Grand Theft Auto V”. The so-called open world action-adventure is really worth its costly price and overlooking a couple of bugs, because of the world of Los Santos encloses endless possibilities and tons of fun. I encountered my first challenge right at the beginning of the mandatory tutorial, since I had never driven a car with 4 keys operated by my left hand. That surely put the relationship of my left foot and the car’s clutch in perspective. However I got over that quickly and started training my aim.
From all the games listed below, I am currently “training” Hearthstone on a daily basis and HotS. They are the most fun anyway. And since I discovered what all the fuzz is about, now I’m hooked on GTA V. Now let’s go wreck some cars!
- “Hearthstone – Heroes Of Warcraft” (11.03.2014) – Blizzard Entertainment; Windows, OS X, tablets, smartphone version available now!
- “Team Fortress 2” (9.10.2007) – Valve Corporation, Windows, OS X, Linux, PS3, Xbox 360
- “Counter Strike: Global Offensive” (21.08.2014) – Valve Corporation; Windows, OS X, Linux, PS3, Xbox 360
- “Contrast” (15.11.2013) – Compulsion Games/Focus Home Interactive; Windows, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One
- “Life Is Strange” (30.01.2105) – Dontnod Entertainment/ Square Enix; Windows, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One
- “F.E.A.R 3” (36.08.2011) – Day 1 Studios/Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment; Windows, PS3, Xbox 360/One
- “Heroes Of The Storm” (closed beta, release to be announced) – Blizzard Entertainment; Windows, OS X
- “PlanetSide 2” (20.12.2012) – Daybreak Game Company/Sony Online Entertainment; Windows, PS4
- “Grand Theft Auto V” (PC: 14.04.2015) – Rockstar Games; Windows, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One
Do you like any of these games? And what are you playing at the moment? Tell us in the comments!